Hurtigruten - « Le plus beau voyage en mer du monde »
Vangen church was built (1202) by a mighty and wealthy family that lived in Aurland in the Viking- and Middle ages.
The church is built in a style that indicates an influence from English architecture. English merchants used to stay in Aurland during long periods to buy different articles and they took part in the building of the church. The church is built in an early Gothic style.
The church has been restored several times and the restoration in the 1860's brought radical changes. The last restoration was performed in 1926.
The pulpit dates back to the 17th century, the two candlesticks on the altar date from 1637.The stained-glass windows are made by the norw. artist Emanuel Vigeland.
In 1725 the Danish-Norwegian King sold the church, and thus it came into privat possesion. It remained in private property up to about 1900, when it was taken over by local administration.