We practice traditional mountain farming with processing of all milk.
On Holsingsetra we have 2 cows, 2 calves, 2 lambs, 2 pigs, chickens, rabbits and cats. The milk from our cows is the basis for our production of cream, sour cream, yogurt, butter and fat milk. We serve real sour cream porridge with "Pligg" (cured meat) and coffee from "svartkjel'n" (the black kettle).
Holsingsetra is adapted for the disabled with trails on the mountain farm, access to all buildings and adapted toilet facilities. Come on day visits, overnight, or take a vacation living in a real mountain farm environment!
2021 season: 10. July to 10. August
There are many activities to choose from with us.
- You can help to care for the animals and learn about the operation of the farm.
- Holsingsetra also offer other activities such as horseback riding, fishing, hiking, cycling and boat trips.
- The farm is also for rent in the fall for big and small game hunting in Roktdalen.
- We have canoe and boat rental in Roktsjøen. You drive past the lake on the trip to the farm and there are plenty of fish.
- Lake Gåstjønna is 1 ½ hour walk from the mountain farm to Brandheiklumpen. There are nice mountain trouts in an idyllic mountain setting. Great place to put up tents/lavvos.
- You can also fish in the river Rokta, which run by the farm, with many great fishing spots along the river bank.
We welcome overnight guests: we have a "lavvo" tent accommodating 8 pax and the mountain farm house can accommodate 6 pax.
Caravans and campervans are welcome to stay at the farm, but there is no access to electricity.
The history of the farm:
In 1974 Holsingåsen got the mountain farm license at Holsingsetra. It was down and a new farm house, outhouse and barn was built. The mountain farm was used for grazing of young cattle until 2004. In 2007, we built a new road up to the farm, and trails were developed throug the farm meadows. A stable previously used in connection with forestry in Roktdalen 1943, was moved and renovated and used as a barn. The old barn was converted to a processing room, where the milk is turned into the farm's dairy products. In 2008, the farm house was rebuilt and the living room was extended with a bedroom and sanitary rooms, with access for wheelchairs.
The hostess and manager of the mountain farm is Gunn Iren Ånonli.
We do not have a card terminal so all payments must be made in cash.
Holsingsetra is located in Snåsa municipality within Roktdalen Crown lands, close to the border with the municipality of Steinkjer. It is about 40 km by car from Snåsa Centre. Drive RV 763 from Snåsa centre to Breide, take the exit to Imsdalen/Grønningen, drive about 1o km, turn right towards Roktdalen/Holsingsetra and drive about 20 km.
If you fancy a bike ride, it is nice to bike into the farm, stay the night and join in the day's activities before the biking back to the village. Another way of accessing the farm is by helicopter, we have an approved landing place at the farm. For helicopter rides contact Mid-Norwegian Helikopter Service AS.