Fjell Fortress played a key role in the defence of Bergen during World War II. Now, 75 years after the end of the war, you can still see the fortress, which was built by the Germans.
Fjell Fortress is a truly impressive underground military base, with a labyrinth of around a kilometre of roads, 10 meters under Fjedla Mountain. The German military established the underground complex around its main artillery - the enormous triple-cannon. Railways, military equipment, ventilation systems and advanced electrical installations are to be found in front wing. Under a meter-thick layer of reinforced concrete are dormitories, kitchens, a medical centre, a workshop, washing facilities, saunas, showers, changing rooms, a communications centre and a network of command bunkers. In 1942, whilst most Norwegians were using outhouses, the Germans had the luxury of the latest porcelain WCs, installed deep inside the mountain. Fjell Fortress had sleeping quarters for around 200 men.
The Cannon Tower Cafe is built of glass over the main cannon well. The cafe enjoys magnificent views over the surrounding area. The space can be hired for corporate events and seminars, for which guided tours can happily be arranged.
The fortress is open only to groups of 10 or more, by appointment only, over the winter period.
|Moins de 18 ans||0,00 Entrée libre|
|* Price from|